Monday, July 25, 2011

La Vita E' Bella - Maple Glen

La Vita E' Bella
914 Limekiln Pike
Maple Glen, PA 19002


Tonight is your lucky night.

Why?

Instead of the usual shared appetizer and two entrees that my husband and I typically order when we go out, tonight you get to see a vast array of dishes.  As we usually do once or twice a month, my family gathered at La Vita E' Bella on a Sunday night.  There were 8 of us. Each time we visit this neighborhood BYO, we are welcomed by the warmth of the brick pizza oven, the smell of garlic, and the smiles of the friendly owner and his staff.  The walls display hand-painted murals of Italian coastline.  We feel like regulars now, seated at what seems like "our table."  The food always comes out hot and flavorful.  Even with the hustle and bustle of a private party of 65 in the side room, our meal did not disappoint.  The house baked bread is delicious, as is the tomato bread: delicate pillows of fluffy bread topped with a light, fresh tomato sauce.  Most entrees and pastas come with a green salad, simple in presentation, with a balsamic vinaigrette which I compare to a marmalade-like sauce. 

Warning:  portions are big.  Not huge, but big.  We always have leftovers to eat the next day.

We all tend to have our favorite dishes, but every so often we try something a little different.  Enjoy last night's selections....we certainly did...

One of La Vita E' Bella's highlights is the antipasti.  My parents compare it to what they have found in restaurants throughout Italy.  There are vegetable, meats, potatoes; all prepared in various ways.



The fresh artichokes are worth the price of admission.  Tender and flavorful, with a hint of lemon.



The pizzas always come out perfectly cooked.  Though they have quite a selection of pizzas, I always feel that simple is best.  The pizzas are not huge, but enough for two to share.  Crust is thin, with just the right amount of chew, and perfect proportions of sauce and cheese.


Fettuccine Alfredo is not one of our usual choices.  My nephew was dying to order it last night.  It was classic, simple and sinful.  The fresh fettuccine was an added bonus.



Penne a la Vodka.  A rich sauce of tomato and cream, with a touch of bacon for a slightly smoky flavor.



This was mine.  I (sometimes) call myself a pescatarian.  So I ordered spaghetti a la vodka, sans bacon. With chunks of fresh tomato thrown in, it was satisfying and delicious.



Gnocchi de la Mama.  Hand cut gnocchi in a creamy tomato sauce with shrimp and broccoli.


Eggplant Parmesan.  Thin slices of lightly breaded eggplant layered with sauce and topped with a lacy covering of Mozzarella.  Served with a side of delicate capellini with fresh tomato sauce.  A nice alternative to some of the richer menu options.



Chicken somethingorother???  Forgive me.  I can't remember the name of this dish, nor can I find the menu online.  I'll take my mother's word on this since I don't eat chicken.  She loved it.  Sauteed chicken breasts with fresh spinach and tomato, topped with cheese and served with a side of capellini. 


In my mind, no meal is complete without a little something sweet at the end.  Desserts here are homemade (but I'm not sure if they are are housemade.)  Each one is delicious and unique.  They have a regular selection as well as a rotation of other desserts.  I'm not going to go into much detail with the desserts as their pictures and titles speak for themselves.


Chocolate Fudge Cake


Italian Rum Cake


Chocolate Ganache Tart


Mangia! Mangia!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I am literally drooling over the artichokes and eggplant parmesan. And your pictures look great. Good luck on your blog!

    ReplyDelete